Saturday, June 20, 2009

Where does the time go?

Summer is officially here! Well, tomorrow it will be, that is.

This week, I let the children do whatever they wanted, except for my eldest son; the poor guy had his wisdom teeth pulled -- all four of them. He was feeling absolutely no pain when he left the dentist's office; he's feeling it, now, as he walks around the house with a hot pad wrapped around his face.

This year, I have decided to do something I haven't ever done before - I've signed up the children to take part in the reading program at the local library. The children are going to be busy almost every day of the week through to August. Besides that, I've even been asked to speak at the library. Talk about your fear factor situation!

I haven't been writing as much as I would like to, lately, as I have been very busy. I've been reading to children in a pre-school setting, writing and doing voice-overs for some television ads, trying to get my story-telling repertoire up to speed, trying to organize things for next year's homeschooling, and I've been working on losing weight since a hospital stay back in March or April. The Lord's Table has been a very good experience. It has been helping me to set my life focus where it belongs - with Christ Jesus. Not food when things don't go the way I'd like.

Even in the midst of trying to focus on God, I have found it so very easy to let other business distract me. Like the library, Facebook, family, and other such things to get in the way of me really spending some one-on-one alone time with my dearest and closest friend,,, the Lord Jesus. In my mind's eye, I sit with him under a huge tree. Don't ask me what type of tree it is, all I know is it's big. Sometimes I picture us climbing that tree. Sometimes He sits under it with me, and we sing away. Sometimes He brings me flowers and I tell Him about my hopes and dreams. Other times I picture Him holding me when the world seems too big. There are times I need to sob while He holds me and sings songs of love, encouragement and hope. There's that recess in my mind where I go when I need to be with Him and Him alone. Sometimes we meet at that tree in my dreams.

It's, funny, though. There are times when I'm in the midst of the business of being busy, I can see Him in my mind's eye, waiting at that big, beautiful, lone tree. He wants me to go to talk to Him about my busy day, to ask Him to help me out, to share my joys, fears, sorrows, everything. Sometimes I leave Him all day at that tree, waiting for me. Then, it's a quick, "Hello, Jesus, had a day and a half -- keep me safe, willya, I'm going to bed," and I'm off again.

Maybe that seems weird what I just said, but maybe Jesus is waiting for you... maybe, just maybe, He's waiting for you in the recess of your mind, as you wonder, where did the time go? Jesus is never too busy for me... why do I tend to think so many other things are more pressing than Him?

I guess my prayer would be that I focus more on the One who loved me so much that He could just die. Wait,,, He DID die for me. May I not lose Him while I lose track of time busying myself doing things that won't make a hill of beans difference in this world. Lord Jesus, help me make a difference for YOU, and may all else take a back seat to You, oh King of the Universe!

No comments: