Sunday, February 1, 2009

No Religion

My second son stayed at a friend's house overnight. I try to not have fear during these times; usually, I have heard my mother's words of reasoning as to why I was never, ever allowed to stay over night at a friend's house as a child. As my children go overnight to friend's houses, I am finding that my biggest fear is that my child doesn't embarrass himself -- or our family. Fortunately, I am told that my children are actually nice and courteous.

At any rate, I arranged to meet my child at the library, where they were holding an "Egyptian Day" there. Whilst hanging out with my youngest, and talking to one friend, another friend came up and alerted us of a volunteer person, wearing a shirt that had the word, "religion" with a circle and slash over it, symbolizing "no religion."

At first, I was incensed. Why is it that non-Christians can wear whatever they wish, I said, while we as Christians are constantly told what we can and cannot wear when we volunteer for different things? Then, I thought, "What an opportunity to witness!" So, I was pointed in the direction of the shirt-wearing offender, and I went on my way to happily declare that I, too, did not believe in religion, but rather, I believed in having a relationship with Jesus Christ, and that if she'd like to know more, I would be more than glad to share what a relationship with Jesus could be like.

As I was going over there, I started praying: "What do you want me to say, Lord?"

"She's MINE, just talk to her," was the reply.

I saw her sitting there, by herself, wearing THAT shirt. I noticed a cross hanging from her neck. It was then that the light-bulb came on in my head, and I said to her, "Hi,,, I noticed your cross, and your shirt, and so I'm guessing you're not against Jesus, but rather, a religious spirit."

She showed me the back of her shirt, which confirmed what I thought... she IS a Christian.

"I've gotten a LOT of nasty looks today and questions regarding this shirt," she replied. I asked if I could sit and just talk to her. She welcomed it. We talked about how she was a former PK (Preacher's kid) and how her dad is no longer preaching, but is still a believer. We shared stories about how difficult it is to be a PK and a PW (preacher's wife), and understood as only people who have been in the trenches can understand as we talked.

I was so looking forward to sharing the gospel of Christ, but I have to say, I was SO MUCH happier to meet this daughter of the Faith (incidentally, her name), and to learn of our similarities (we both love to paint, write and such), to share concerns and desires for our families, and to let her know that I would pray for her and her family. When someone came to get a tattoo, I was saddened, for our time together was cut short.

Afterward, I thought about how I was so ready to rush to judgment of a girl wearing a shirt that she bought at Creation Festival; instead, I was taught a valuable lesson by the Lord. Next time I see a nose-ring, or a tattoo, or the next time I see an outfit that I necessarily wouldn't wear, I will have to remember that God does not look on the outside man,,, he looks on the heart. Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful lesson!

1 comment:

Marie said...

I was embarrassed at my quick assessment of this sweet girl's shirt, but quickly realized her point, once I knew that it was not an anti Christian one.
Teaches us to look deeper, doesn't it?