Saturday, February 20, 2010

Turn Around... Turn Around

The other day, it happened. I survived the day without one of my children adding a new spot or stain to my shirt. Surprisingly, the moment I dreamed of for so long had a bittersweet ring to it. The change is starting to occur.

Soon, I won't tell my daughter, "hold still, I know it stings, but I have to get the knots out of your hair."

In short order I won't tell my soon to be 11-year old, "How many times do I have to TELL you, I don't want to see your stinky old socks in my NICE FRONT ROOM?!"

Before I know it, I won't be reminding my four year old, "Ah-ah-ah, did you wash your hands after going potty?"

In the blink of an eye, I won't be tripping over toys in the hallway, or sitting on Buzz Lightyear toys that catch me unawares (which honestly said, "I have a laser and I'm NOT afraid to use it," when I did sit on that silly toy).

No more chocolate covered kisses, no more "look, Mommy, look at me!", no more giggles over silly sayings and sing songs in the car or Bible stories before bedtime.

No more making the rounds at night, kissing each and every one of them with heartfelt "I love you's."

No more listening to in-depth, insessant stories and facts about your children's favorite subjects.

No more hearing, "I love you, Mommy; you're the BEST and most beautiful Mommy in the World!"

How many times have we told our children, "Oh, will you grow up?" Well, they DO just that, without any encouragement from us; it all happens naturally.

Turn around, turn around, turn around and they're young adults, going out of the door, and having babes of their own.

I know, you may be asking, "Well, gee, you have a four year old, you still have LOTS of time!"

No, I don't. You see, it seems like only yesterday that my 17-year old was wrapping his tiny arms around me, saying, "I love you FOREVER, Mommy!" It seems like a lifetime ago that I cheered on my now 21-year old step-son at a baseball game when he was ten, or skated hand in hand with his now 18-year old brother, singing "I Want It That Way" (I STILL cannot hear that song without a tear welling up in my eyes at that moment in time). Now... well, it's all memories. Memories that I pray never get erased by age.


Mercy, my house is going to be TOO quiet when my children eventually leave the nest!


So, I need to treasure every moment, hold onto it and cherish every single second with those remaining pearls I know as my children. Make sure to create mental snapshots of those sweet memories along this journey of life. Today, I'm going to go get a free pretzel with the children. I'm going to make a more concerted effort to enjoy what time I do have with my beauties. I can attest that it all goes by so very quickly, and then someday, you must say goodbye to the ones you love. Cherish it, with all your heart. So your child is acting in an irritating factor? Cherish those moments, too, while directing them back on course the best way you can.

Just before I took to this blog, I glanced out of the window. There was my wonderful husband, walking along. Directly behind him, followed my beautifully handsome son, smiling as he tried to match my husband's pace, step by step. A tear came to my eye as I silently prayed, "May you walk in the way of your father, my sweet boy, and may you grow strong in the Lord, now and forever."

2 comments:

Brooke Higgins said...

Turn around to have some important initiate the good working performance. luton airport valet parking

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.