Monday, January 18, 2010

My Dad prayed with me today....

The first person I remember holding such an emotion as love towards was my father. I remember being a tiny little thing, standing at the back door, waving good-bye to my father as he took off in the car to go to work. Then, as soon as I saw him take off, I rushed as quickly to the front door as I could. That huge front door always caused me considerable trouble to open, as we always opened it with an old-fashioned skeleton key.



I'd yank at the huge, imposing door, and scream for my mother to open the door, because Daddy had to see me wave good-bye to him from the front door, as well. He must have been made aware of the herculean effort on my part to wave good-bye to him from both doors, because even though we lived on the corner of a road and an alley, and all he had to do was just drive a few hundred feet to turn left onto Main Street, I always seemed to beat him to door. I figured the faster I'd wave my hand, the more my Dad would know I loved him; sometimes I waved my hand so fast and hard, I was sure it was going to fly off!



It was the same thing with apples. My father would not be allowed to eat a single apple until I had taken it, breathed on it, and shined up that apple so bright that you honestly could see your face looking back at it. The shinier that apple, the more my daddy would know that I loved him. I seriously thought that if anyone in this world needed to know that someone loved him unconditionally, then, I was going to show that I loved him unconditionally, forever and ever.



There was always a vulnerability and sadness to my father. You see, I don't think he was ever truly accepted as a younger man. He happened to live in a small town, one of the sons of the town -- for lack of better word -- tramp. My paternal grandmother could put the lady at the well to shame in her actions towards the opposite sex. In a small town, people don't always look at a person for themselves; they judge you for your father and mother, your grandparents, etc. That does something to a person. He did not trust women, and refused to allow my mother to work outside of the home. It didn't stop him from having a roaming eye of his own; and even though my father didn't lose his temper that much, when he did, it was more than terrifying. I remember hiding behind the couch on more than one occasion. But again, I knew he was dealing with demons of his own that raged inside of him.



On the positive, my Dad taught me how to have fun. He was the one who would get out in the yard and play football with us -- or he'd make up his own games for us to play. He created stilts for each of us children -- the higher he'd get them, the better we'd like it. He was the king of snow fort making. I loved being on his team whenever we'd play anything. He looked just like -- and was as strong as -- Superman, to me. He'd go to the grocery store and "accidentally" lose the list. We'd beg Dad for Fudgcicles, and he'd buy a huge box of them. Then he'd pronounce, "Well, you know what we need to go along with Fudgcicles, don't you? Potato chips!" That would start a chain reaction of what all we "needed" to round out Dad's list of groceries. We'd arrive back home, junk food galore filling up the bags; poor Mom would get red in the face and yell, "Didn't you get ANYTHING of SUBSTANCE?!"



There are a few things Dad wouldn't do: he wouldn't got to church with us unless it was a super-special occasion, he didn't read the Bible with us, and he didn't pray. He also never said that he loved us until I was 16 years old; funny, that didn't matter as much to me, because I just KNEW that my Daddy loved me. I did ache to hear the Bible being read by our parents, and I longed to pray with my Dad. My mom prayed with us when there was big trouble afoot, but to pray just to speak with God was not something we did.



Today changed all of that. Today while my dad was in a hospital bed, I asked to pray with him. He did not want to, and hemmed and hawed about it. He's a private man, deep down, and becomes shy at the strangest moments. I guess it's like how I was a disc jockey and singer, yet still become very embarrassed if attention is drawn to me at a restaurant (i.e. birthdays are never happy for me when those people in the restaurant come up to me and sing those silly songs).

At any rate, I felt a need to pray with him before, but he gently rebuffed me. Last night, I felt strongly that I needed to pray with my father. I could feel his fear -- an emotion I never associated with my father -- when I prayed for him in the comfort of my home. Yes, I found out, he has been very anxious lately. So, today when I asked him, he stated that he couldn't pray out loud because he was very exhausted from his rehab session.

"That's okay, Poppa (ever since I've watched "Fiddler on the Roof" I've called my father "Poppa" quite often, as as I cannot sit through a showing of that movie without thinking of my aged father when I see the loving, bearded, handsome, hard-working, long-suffering Tevya). At this moment, I'm stronger. And like the geese, I'm going to call out and ask God to help until you're strong enough, okay?"

He acquiesced. I prayed and asked God to hold my father in the night. I asked my heavenly Father to remind my earthly father that He hasn't given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of power, love, and a sound mind, and that we do not need to be anxious for anything. I asked for God to give my dad a peace that surpasses all understanding that will guard his heart and mind. And I thanked my heavenly Daddy for giving me the desire of my heart to pray with my Dad. Dad was choked up by the time we said, "Amen." I was teary-eyed, as well. I know that he knows I love him beyond measure. And no matter what tomorrow may bring, I will hold in my heart forever the wonderful memory that my Dad prayed with me today.