Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Geography can "bee" fun!

Today I was awakened by my second-born who squealed, "Today's the Geography Bee!"

National Geographic hosts a "Geography Bee" that is a nation-wide thing. A homeschool group to which I belong was holding a division of the bee. Whoever wins the local bee's compete against each other in regionals, then it goes to state, then to nationals.

This was my son's first year doing this, so I wasn't expecting the sun, moon, and stars; I only wanted him to come away with the knowledge that he tried his best.

It was funny to hear in the beginning of the "Bee" when the children found out they got an answer right: "YEAH!" "WOO-HOO!" As the bee progressed to harder material, the former cheers turned to "Oh, man!" And, my poor son's face was turning redder and redder, which is what happens when he gets frustrated.

He made it to the semi-finals, where the questions dealt with nothing that he's gone over, yet. From where I was sitting, I saw the tears starting to fill his eyes. I noticed one thing, though; he did not give up trying to answer the questions, even though he didn't have the answers.

I walked over and kissed the back of his head. His eyes were on the prize of the Wal-Mart gift card offered to the first, second, and third place winners, but he realized that dream was about to be shattered as they announced who would go on to the finals.

He smiled, leaned into me and shed some tears. I had him look me square into my eyes, and I told him, "Honey, I want to say that I've never been prouder of you than I am right this moment. You came into this, you gave it your best, and you never gave up. In this life, you'll not always get first prize, but if you try your best, then you've succeeded."

He smiled at me, gave me a kiss on my cheek, then gave me a huge hug. This was one of the best days of our lives together.

No comments: