Wednesday, November 5, 2008

All I Want....

When I was younger, I remember thinking my mother was crazy. Every Mother's Day, Birthday, Christmas, Easter... you know, any major event where any thoughts of gifts are concerned, my mother would announce, "I don't want you to spend any money on me for any gifts. Now, I don't want to go away without you kids. ALL I WANT is to have a nice, peaceful day with NO FIGHTING. That's all."

"What?! Who in their right mind WOULDN'T want presents?!"

We'd buy what we could (chocolate covered cherries, affordable-for-children perfume) and fight anyway.

Christmas is coming. In this time of economic insecurity, I told the children what I've been telling them anytime there's any major even where there's the possibility of presents being presented to me: "I don't want you children to go out and buy anything for me. And I don't want to go away or anything -- I want to be with you children -- I just DON'T want ANY FIGHTING."

I heard my children talking to each other a little while after I made my announcement: "What is the MATTER with Mom? Who in their right mind WOULDN'T want PRESENTS?"

They'll find out when they're older... Mom wasn't so crazy after all!

------------------------------------------------------------------

We went away for a few days. It was good to be in the mountains and walk along trails which led to trickleing streams. I actually got a few good photos of the children. We needed to ask God for His direction. I cried alot of tears, sighed alot of appreciative sighs at the sights, sounds and smells of the woods, and I've prayed alot of prayers and and read alot of His Word. In this seeking of God's direction, I'm trying to learn that it's not MY will, but HIS will be done. God directed me to Timothy quite a bit. I've been dealing with hurt, confusion, anger, fear -- and I know that deep down, God is in the midst of everything. I'm learning that to have a testimony, one has to go through a test. I ask for God to guide me daily as I rest in Jesus. May He guide YOU, whoever may be reading this.

All I want is to be the best follower of Christ that I can be, and prayerfully do my best by the people who intersect their lives with mine.

1 comment:

Marie said...

Kids really have no grasp of the emotional toll their sibling rivalry takes on the family.
If they were mature enough to understand, then they wouldn't need your loving care.

This just means that you are not out of a job yet, Mom.