Sunday, March 29, 2009

Be my Hiding place

I don't think that anything which happens in our lives is truly an accident. There's a purpose for every single thing that befalls us; the rain falls on the just as well as the unjust. During a flood, the last thing you want to see is more rain; during a time of drought, you will run out into the wonderful wetness and savor the droplets hitting your face. These happenings in our lives are placed in our lives to accomplish any number of things; either to test us, to make us stronger or to lift us up to a higher level of peace, love and understanding with our heavenly Father.

The same can be said of two events that, in context, seem different from one another. However, I believe that these two events interweaving in my life are for a reason. A few weeks back, I made a trip to the library, whereupon I found the book, "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom. I have been having a hard time putting the book down; this was a story about a brave family that didn't realize how truly brave they were. What has been hitting me between the eyes is the smoothness with which the Third Reich came sweeping into Holland -- not only militarily, but mentally. One wonders, how could Holland, or any country, have allowed the horrendous atrocities to occur in their country. But you see, the Germans did not introduce all of these far-reaching restrictions over night. A law here, a rule there, until it was too late to fight back, and the countries ended up like a fly caught in a web.

This past week, I participated in my first-ever political rally. Over 1,500 people showed up on the grounds of Legislative Hall in my home-state, letting our voices be heard regarding our views on marriage between men and women. Men and women, black and white, young and old, were all united for one cause: we simply stated that marriage was between one man and one woman.

It's amazing to me how people who even say that they're Christians will turn around and revile those of us who stand up for Biblical principles. Is it too late, now, to reverse what has been coming to our eyes, ears and minds as a collective nation for over 80 years? The Scopes monkey trial started the ball rolling on solely teaching that lie otherwise known as evolution in our public schools. Madelyn O'Hare ushered in the age where we won't even be able to have a "silent moment" in our schools. We teach nine year olds how to place prophylactics on vegetables and teach girls that abortion is a viable alternative. Various television shows over the years have gradually numbed a nation into thinking that it's "okay to be gay."

When I try to state my opinion, I am greeted with the ever-present, "Well it says in YOUR Bible, 'Judge not, lest ye be judged.'" They also add, "I'm not going to give you credence for a lone verse in Leviticus regarding homosexuality." Yeah,,, even the devil can quote Scripture, when it suits his purposes, and there are more places than you'd care to imagine that talk negatively about homosexuality in the Bible.

I have to remind some people that there are NOT different levels of sin. No sin is worse than the other, in God's eyes, for ANYTHING that separates us from Him is sin. Gossip is just as bad as murder, in God's eyes. And running around on your wife while still going to church is just as bad as a person who loves someone of the same sex. In and of myself, I find I am a most sinful person, indeed; but, as I was telling my children in kid's church, there is NOTHING that can separate us from the love of God, and His forgiveness, if we humbly ask Him to do so.

Especially after reading "The Hiding Place", I am more than convinced that the end of this age is coming quicker than we may realize. I am also wondering more and more why we Americans think we are going to escape the wrath to come. We have allowed avarace, sin and greed to permeate our existence and then we expect God to bless us! We turn our backs as a nation on His laws while we terminate the unborn, celebrate "commitment ceremonies" -- even amongst the clergy! -- and teach our children that His Word is a lie when we openly celebrate reincarnation and evolution.

Jesus said it best when He said, "And whoever will not receive you nor hear you, when you depart from there, shake off the dust under your feet as a testimony against them. Assuredly, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city!” - Mark 6:11, and "Likewise as it was also in the days of Lot: They ate, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they built; but on the day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all. Even so will it be in the day when the Son of Man is revealed. " - Luke 17:28-30

When I read the book of Revelation, I recall where Jesus speaks to the church of Sardis: "These are the words of him who holds the seven spirits of God and the seven stars. I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your deeds complete in the sight of my God. Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you.." Revelation 3:1-3

I don't want to be a dead church (you see, it's not a building that makes a church, WE are the temple of the Living God) -- I want to be ALIVE in HIM! May You help me, O Lord Jesus, to be all that You wish me to be for You! Awaken me, and stir in me the ability to do Your will, no matter what others may do or say!

1 comment:

My Little Nest said...

GREAT post! We've been burying our heads in the sand too long. Wish I could have made the rally. Glad there was a great turnout.