Thursday, March 19, 2009

In the Blink of an Eye

The news just announced yesterday of the death of an actress, a talented actress from an acting dynasty. She was simply taking skiing lessons - on the bunny trail, no less - and fell. She was offered treatment, laughed about it and refused the treatment. Within the hour, Natasha Richardson was suffering from a headache. By the next morning, she was brain dead. Her family gathered around her, said their last goodbyes and pulled the plug. In the blink of an eye, she was gone. My condolences go out to her husband, young sons and the rest of her family.

When I heard about that accident, I was taken back to my husband's accident in August of 2000. I was expecting our daughter at the time. I just got done fixing my step-son's bike and was washing my hands when the knock on the door occurred. Standing before me were the police. They asked me my name. The vast myriad of thoughts that overcome your brain are overwhelming in those few seconds that the policeman says, "We're very sorry, but...."

In the blink of an eye, your whole world changes. My husband was minding his own business when someone passed a mail truck and hit my husband head-on. Even though he was wearing a seat belt, he still hit the windshield. He bounced back, and hit the side window. His hip was shattered, his other leg suffered a compound fracture, glass got in his eye and his thumb needed surgery. He actually died three times on the way to the hospital. Miraculously, he did not suffer internal injuries, he was not blinded, and he suffers from short-term memory loss. After that, you treasure the moments with your loved one -- including the times you want to haul off and smack him on his arm.

Our lives are but a vapor. I have been surprised at how quickly 25 years have passed from the day I graduated high school till now. I am surprised at how quickly my children have grown. One day, I will cross the threshold of this world into the next; how will I have touched the world in which I live? Have I done all that the Lord has given me to do? Have I really touched the lives of others in a positive way? More importantly, have I influenced them to serve and believe in a loving Savior? In the blink of an eye, someday I will be no more. In the blink of an eye, you will find yourself living in eternity - somewhere. Who have we touched today? Who have we reached? We need to work while it is still day.

2 comments:

Pastor Ronnie Robbins said...

Your message makes us think. We take too much for granted. Thank you for this word!

Donna Cooper said...

Just to let you know...I'm BACK (after being MIA for a long time!)
Hope you'll drop by and check out my blog again.
www.hisgraceamazesme.
blogspot.com

God bless you bunches!
Donna