Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Just some meanderings...

Usually, I go on Facebook twice a day. But I've been noticing a terrible occurrence; I plan on only being on Facebook a few minutes, but then find myself on there much longer than anticipated.

I start playing a game that which someone has sent me the "application" . I copy and paste a silly note that someone has sent to me and fill it out, myself. I start taking a quiz to see how "smart" I am in the knowledge of "80's music" -- as though it has any relevance on my life today. Then that quiz flows into another quiz, into another quiz and before I know it, too much time has slipped out of my hands.

I don't know... am I making any difference to any of my friends on Facebook? I wonder if I make a difference, period. Sorry I'm sounding like this. My greatest desire is to touch lives on behalf of Christ; somehow, that's one thing I keep questioning about myself.

Instead, I get phone calls from my mother who is now upset that I've accepted her niece (my cousin) as my friend, because my mother has not spoken to my aunt in over 17 years, and seems to think that my cousin will take news of her and my father back to my aunt, if I talk about them to my cousin. My sister told my mother, even though my sister has not become my friend, yet, but she can see who my friends are.

But you know, I have gotten in touch with a dear friend who has stayed true to Christ, and she and I now phone each other about once a week. I have been able to be friends with other people who I wouldn't have known otherwise. In every situation, God CAN shine through. I just have to pray beforehand and ask Him to lead me in my comings and goings, and to be an edifying force, and not to allow myself to be swept away by all things that can so easily distract me.

Please help me to be effective for You, dear Heavenly Father...

1 comment:

Pastor Ronnie Robbins said...

Just want to encourage you. Yes, it is easy to spend too much time on FB, especially if you get involved in all the things on there. I have recently tried to reel in those areas, because, as you say, they can be time consuming. But I have found it to be a great place to connect with people. And, like you, I have had criticism over it. Whatever we do in life, there will be someone on assignment to find fault with it. Keep on doing what you do, you're a great gift from God. Connecting with people is part of your calling.