Thursday, January 8, 2009

"Forgiven"

This week at the library to which we go as part of a library club is having a "Cancelling of the Library Fines" week.

I'm ashamed to say, I had misplaced a video tape of "It Happened One Night" (starring Clark Gable and Claudette Cobert), and so it became overdue. However, I was told not to worry, that the fees were going to be waived! I stood at the desk, watching the librarian do her stuff, as she typed this and that on her keyboard to eliminate those fees. Then, she sighed and said one word: "Forgiven."

Forgiven! Do you know how wonderful that word sounds: forgiven? I made a mistake; therefore, I owed a debt for that error. But this week was a time for forgiveness of that debt, and the knowledge that I didn't have a huge fine rearing its proverbial head at me was a nice release.

On the way home, I pondered how we've all made horrendous mistakes in life -- much worse than a misplaced videotape. Heaven knows I've made more than my fair share of mistakes. But the amazing thing is that we don't need to rely on a special week of the year to attain forgiveness -- we can go to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords to ask for forgiveness. And when we do, He states: "As far as the east is from the west, I have cast your sins far from you, and they shall no longer be remembered." (Becky paraphrase)

Forgiveness -- provided at moment's notice by a loving Savior. What a wonderful sound!

No comments: