Saturday, January 10, 2009

So Begins the Journey towards that Highway called "normal"

It is said that the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is a road I never thought I'd land upon. It's one that, with the help of a Christian psychologist, I'm planning on exiting it and traveling the highway back to normal.

I was told that those who experience Post Traumatic Stress Disorder actually experience a change in the brain. Certain chemicals in the brain become askew. That's why a person becomes hyper vigilant, easily agitated, emotional, bouts of anger, nightmares... so many other symptoms that I've been experiencing since that trauma hit me. Many times it's treated with talking things through and medications. I asked not to take medications, because I've read about the side effects -- they seem as bad as this disorder. However, the therapist did say I needed to go to the health food store and get some things like multi-vitamins, Omega-3, Gaba, and 5-HTP.

I've actually been able to sleep without dreaming about the events of that night. The therapist also is having me write down things from the past that have been traumatic. That has been hard to do; there are quite a few things that I've survived, and I've had to walk away from it a few times while writing things down. BUT -- I know that this will help me -- and hopefully be a chance to help others if I write this stuff down and do what the doctor says.

I'm not saying that God was not able to heal me of the anguish that came with the discovery of someone who committed suicide -- He's putting me in touch with others that are His followers who have had training to help in cases that seem too hard to handle, so that total healing can come to pass. It says in the Word to make your requests known -- my request was that someone help me get through this. God is true to His word.

Why am I writing this right now on my blog? If just one person reads this who thinks they're alone and that God isn't there to help them, I'm here to say, you're not alone -- we can make it through the trauma. If you've experienced something horrendous and you feel as though you can't make it to tomorrow, please, I urge you -- get help. We can make it -- we must make it.

No comments: