Monday, January 12, 2009

Friends

I used to get phone calls from a certain person. I'd see her number come up on the caller ID, and inwardly groan... I know she never wanted to talk to me just to say, "hey", she'd only call when she wanted something. It got to the point that when she'd call, I'd say, "Hello, ___, what do you need?" When I finally said that I wouldn't fulfill a request that I knew would not honor God, she stopped calling.

I have some people who call me just to talk. Sometimes they need me to fulfill a request; other times, they call just to shoot the breeze. It's the same for me with them. Sometimes I need to talk things out that are bothering me; other times I just need to hear their friendly voices. I love to laugh with my friends! And my bestest buddies, Becky, Marie, and Tammy -- and the newly acquired friend, Sue -- are a pleasure to talk to. I wish I would be able to talk to a few others more often, like the beautiful Robin. I look forward to talking to them, no matter the occasion. In good times we share laughs, in bad times we share tears, and prayers.

I started out writing this particular blog entry in honor of my friends. As I got to the second paragraph, it hit me... are we the kind of friend to God who only calls on Him in times of emergency... or are we the friends that God looks forward to hearing from, no matter what the occasion? Wow... Lord, please forgive me for the times I forget to "call" (pray) just to say, "Hi."

2 comments:

Pastor Ronnie Robbins said...

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that for whatever reason you are on my mind and in my prayers today. I pray that you guys are doing well.

Rebecca said...

Thanks, Pastor Ronnie!

We're still smaller in number at our church than what we'd like, but it seems as if we're "the little church that could" -- with the help of Jesus!

I'm actually not having as many flashbacks of that night when I found the parishoner... God is good.

Thank you so much for your prayers -- they are so greatly appreciated! May God bless you richly for your obedience to the Lord!