Friday, October 3, 2008

I don't "excel" at some things

Sometimes, I don't like that Proverbs 31 woman. I try to be like her, but I don't quite get to be that woman of grace, beauty and brains. I write this as I sit in my sweat pants and bare feet. The Proverbs 31 woman would NEVER be caught at the computer in her bare feet! I bet if that Proverbs 31 woman were alive today, she'd be able to handle practically anything...

Have a dinner party for 300? No problem! The house is spotless, anyway, she's so perfect! I noticed in the Word why she's so perfect -- she has servants! One of my friends (I believe it was Marie) stated, "Don't forget, YOU have servants, too -- Whirlpool, Hoover, Frigidaire..." At any rate, I bet if that Proverbs 31 woman were here, she'd be able to handle mail merging with Excel - no problem at all!

My wonderful hubby is president of the local business chamber, and the secretary had trouble with mail merging from excel. My husband brought home the list, determining to help her complete the task. Hours later, he STILL hadn't merged anything. As a wife who tries to be a helper to her husband, I volunteered to find out more about excel. I looked up this wonderful little FREE course on the internet, and got to work. Nothing about mail merging. RATS! All the while, my children (who usually run as soon as I get a moment away from them during homeschool hours) wouldn't stop hovering around me. "Hey, Mom - I got done with my handwriting... what next?"

The only thing of importance I've figured out in this merging search is that the key to my children becoming eager beavers during school hours is to get busy on something important for either my husband or myself.

I did find out that I had to label the cells to create a mail merge, but that's as far as I could get; the pressure to have my daughter read to me and my son to stop digging into the potato chips outweighed the merging of the mail, and I apologetically passed the torch back to my hubby.

Within fifteen minutes, while my daughter was reading about a crying dog, fox, rabbit and boy, my husband burst forth from the office and proclaimed, "You almost had it, Becky -- the mail merge is now complete!"

Victory is ours! The potato chips were saved (only to be stolen later by the baby of the family), the children got their schooling in, and even though I didn't completely save the day (I forgot to put on my "Supermom cape"), there's a certain amount of pleasure in knowing that I had a small part in helping my hubby get the job done.

1 comment:

My Little Nest said...

I love it Becky! Great post. It sounds so much like my house...especially the son in the potato chip part. LOL.